Welcome to the sordid chronicle of my medical adventures, mishaps and triumphs with a side of assorted helpful links. Although I recently achieved that coveted clean bill of health, The Cancer Dancer will oh-so-gracefully trudge on as a means to share the personal and practical findings I continue to discover. Join me from the beginning (as the wide-eyed new patient) or join me now (as the seasoned survivor).

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Strength Training

A question for Customer Service everywhere:

How can it be deemed unusually high call volume if it's constantly the case? When is the off-season?

This is a valid question coming from a patient who has spent countless hours on hold with billing offices and call centers. After receiving my diagnosis and learning that I could not teach dance, I immediately looked into options for financial assistance. Six months of repeatedly providing my account numbers,  I've managed to navigate my way through the system, but there are a few things I've learned:

1. Many hospitals supply patients with personnel to assist with complicated bills and financial aid. Though part of the hospital, my treatment facility employed a separate advocate designated to their patients. If you have access to this resource, use it.

2. Keep a record of phone conversations. Include the date, person you spoke to, the nature of the call and answer you received.

3. While waiting for financial decisions to go through review panels, be persistent. Procuring financial assistance was a constant waiting game. Though my account was on hold (no bills due) during this period, I still received statements in error every month. Calling frequently was a necessary measure to ensure that my account was not placed in collections. Additionally, after receiving a grant award from the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, I acted as a go-between for the hospital billing and the organization. 

What I've REALLY learned:

If I had followed my advice in step #1 I probably wouldn't have advanced to steps #2 and #3. Not that they weren't good habits to build. Oh, the valuable lessons I've acquired...

No comments:

Post a Comment