Welcome to the sordid chronicle of my medical adventures, mishaps and triumphs with a side of assorted helpful links. Although I recently achieved that coveted clean bill of health, The Cancer Dancer will oh-so-gracefully trudge on as a means to share the personal and practical findings I continue to discover. Join me from the beginning (as the wide-eyed new patient) or join me now (as the seasoned survivor).

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Effects of Chemo: A Cautionary Tale

Anyone who is aware of my  German-Swedish heritage, my squirmish discomfort in a tanning bed or my blindingly pasty white legs during a wintry rehearsal day knows I'm hopelessly fair skinned.   It came as a surprise when, minutes ago, I discovered a flaming red sunburn spreading across my neck and shoulders. Could it have been the refreshingly sunny 35 degree weather I enjoyed for a good 7 minutes today (clad in 7 layers of clothing)? Or I got too close to the space heater. Sigh. It's probably a lovely combination of chemo treatment and double flu shots yesterday. Be advised: The harmful effects of UV-rays may be causing themselves. Next time I will wear sunscreen.


Best News I got during Chemo cycle 2 Part 1 (with commentary):

*I gained 6 pounds! (So long, knobby knees.)

*My hemoglobin level remains at 11! (Yes, I'm the girl you saw performing "the running man" to the Rocky Theme in the parking garage at Northshore Hospital. And yes, I'm also the girl who consequently fell down.)

*I can (gradually) start teaching again! ($$)

2 comments:

  1. Anne Dear One
    Thank you for sharing your journey
    You are an amazing woman and I think and pray for your quick recovery daily.
    Love and God Bless
    Kandi Saarinen

    ReplyDelete