Welcome to the sordid chronicle of my medical adventures, mishaps and triumphs with a side of assorted helpful links. Although I recently achieved that coveted clean bill of health, The Cancer Dancer will oh-so-gracefully trudge on as a means to share the personal and practical findings I continue to discover. Join me from the beginning (as the wide-eyed new patient) or join me now (as the seasoned survivor).

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Effects of Chemo II: A Tale of Trickery and Timing

I'm sure you've woken up with that feeling. You pry open one mascara-caked eyelid.  Discovering the half-eaten bagel* next to you, the room begins to swirl.

You did it again.

In that moment you realize that you've been tricked. Succumbed to that last cocktail. Confused the lyrics of the "beer before liquor" poem. A wave of nausea and regret instantly rush over you. How could you have been so stupid? Again?!

By you, of course, I mean me: a former frequent victim of the hideous hangover. And as any past roommate will regretfully confirm, the Kasdorf Hangover is mean. It's the kind of wretched event you really don't want to revisit but unfortunately do.

This is much like the effects of chemotherapy. I receive treatment every two weeks, and in that time I feel pretty bad for a few days. But then I feel great. Something about that dramatic contrast seems to erase the awfulness from my mind until it hits me again. Again?! It's the harsh trickery of heavy toxins pumping through my bloodstream (alcoholic or non). Only as my sister, well-versed in the family trait, points out: I didn't do it to myself this time.


*Or Goodfella's or Burrito House nachos (see also: really, really bad hangover)

1 comment:

  1. i was gonna say... half eaten bagel?? more like burrito house. hopefully chemo doesn't trick you into eating that on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete