Welcome to the sordid chronicle of my medical adventures, mishaps and triumphs with a side of assorted helpful links. Although I recently achieved that coveted clean bill of health, The Cancer Dancer will oh-so-gracefully trudge on as a means to share the personal and practical findings I continue to discover. Join me from the beginning (as the wide-eyed new patient) or join me now (as the seasoned survivor).

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Searchin' for my lost grande plié

As I gradually regain proper use of my dance technique, I'm still missing one key component: my grande plié.

Now, a brief but worthwhile digression for my non-dance readers:

According to Gail Grant, (Webster of the ballet world) a grande plié is a full bending of the knees; an exercise to render the joints soft and pliable and the tendons flexible and elastic, and to develop a sense of balance. 

(Translated: a fancy squat and return to standing sans grunt)

My muscle memory has actually been pretty miraculous throughout this process. Considering that at Christmas I could barely climb steps, I'm relieved to have rediscovered my feet, spine and
(speaking of miracles) abdominals. And yet, if I attempt this full, pliable bending, I'm not getting up. Maybe Jimmy Buffett knows where I put my plié...

No comments:

Post a Comment