Welcome to the sordid chronicle of my medical adventures, mishaps and triumphs with a side of assorted helpful links. Although I recently achieved that coveted clean bill of health, The Cancer Dancer will oh-so-gracefully trudge on as a means to share the personal and practical findings I continue to discover. Join me from the beginning (as the wide-eyed new patient) or join me now (as the seasoned survivor).

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Defining Normal, an attempt

Chemo #11 yesterday: just one more treatment to go. I decided to ask my doctor about what to expect in life after chemo having, you know, ravaged my body with intense doses of poison for the past six months.

"Well, you'll just go back to normal," she replied.

Just go back to normal?

"Actually, since you've been doing great and had so much energy, you may not really feel a lot of changes." (Which makes me feel a bit rock star when she points out that my treatment regiment is particularly intense AND that I'm kind of amazing!)

I supposed that I do have moments of normalcy, but combined with a pinch of paranoia and a dose of self-consciousness, it's what I'd call a very tentative normalcy. I've been pushing towards the moment  that last IV comes out of my arm for months, but what then? Oh right, everything will go back to normal.

How DO YOU define normal in your life? No seriously, I'm asking...comment and share if you wish!

1 comment:

  1. Normal...

    * 2 margaritas/week, or whatever your new cocktail of choice may be

    * regularly scheduled Robert Palmer dance parties

    * yoga in the living room

    * wedding planning, wedding planning, and more wedding planning

    ReplyDelete