Welcome to the sordid chronicle of my medical adventures, mishaps and triumphs with a side of assorted helpful links. Although I recently achieved that coveted clean bill of health, The Cancer Dancer will oh-so-gracefully trudge on as a means to share the personal and practical findings I continue to discover. Join me from the beginning (as the wide-eyed new patient) or join me now (as the seasoned survivor).

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My love/hate relationship with steroids

It is an eternally changing status. During treatment, steroids serve to subsidize the harsh side effects of chemotherapy. I was given a strong dose of hydro-cortisone before the "D" segment of my ABVD treatment. Dacarbazine is the lengthiest and, as far as I understand, most aggressive of the four drugs infused.  I also took Benadryl just before treatment and a prescribed steroid in the two days afterward. This helped curb skin irritation, nausea, aches and pains: you name it. Great, right? Well, sort of...

I was grateful when, after explaining my considerable arm pain, she added the hydro-cortisone to my routine, and it made a huge difference in my comfort level. This coincided with a surprising inability to button my jeans. Bummer. In three short months I went from being unable to wear my clothes because of my emaciated state to just the opposite.



I made an uneducated assumption that after my chemo cycles were complete I'd feel the final effects for the usual 8 days or so and go on my merry way. I didn't realize that while I said goodbye to the drug pushing nurses, exhausted veins and debilitated immune system I was also leaving behind the magical effects of steroids. While the chemo drugs continue to attack,  the steroids eventually wear off. I'm gradually going back to my normal size (phew) and dealing with life after steroids: experiencing muscle aches and a seriously irritating ear ache.

And once again, I realize that this debacle is not quite over. The waiting is the hardest part.

Had to include this one. Looks like Cody makes a cameo:






1 comment:

  1. This hair regrowth manual was written by a Japanese hair loss consultant, Hiroko Kobayashi, who has helped more than three thousand people at her institute regrow their lost hair. Article

    ReplyDelete